Frequently Asked Questions and Answers


How do I get a diagnosis for my child?

Families can receive a diagnosis of autism from qualified professionals with expertise and who have undergone specific training. These include family physicians, pediatricians and developmental pediatricians, psychiatrists, psychologists, psychological associates, and nurse practitioners. Children can also be referred by their doctor to the Autism Diagnostic Hub, KidsAbility is a partner and supports with Hub referrals for Central West. CMHA supports for Guelph area referrals. Please connect with your doctor for referral to the Autism Diagnostic Hub in your area.

My child received a diagnosis of autism, what do I need to do now?

  • Register your child with the Ontario Autism Program (OAP) 
  • If you have any questions, please email or call them at:
  • If you aren't already a KidsAbility client, please call to speak with one of our Intake Social Workers at 519-886-8886 x 1214 or toll-free at 1-888-372-2259 x 1214. KidsAbility provides a variety of services to children with a diagnosis of autism until they are 18 years old (school exit). The Intake Worker can also help determine whether you will be eligible for other community resources.
  • Your child with autism may also be eligible for other government programs for children with special needs.  


Does my child need a diagnosis to receive services from KidsAbility?

KidsAbility provides families with a range of therapy and services for their child or youth with physical, communication, behavioural or developmental challenges—regardless of if they have a diagnosis or not.


Waiting List

How can I check if my child is on the Ontario Autism Program waitlist?

To confirm that your child is on the Ontario Autism Program waiting list, contact the Central Intake Registration Team at 1-888-444-4530 or email Ontario Autism Program.


Approximately, how long will I wait to get my One-Time Interim Funding /Childhood Budget?

Please visit the ministry website to see monthly numbers of children on the waitlist and those already receiving services in the Ontario Autism Program and to ask questions about the waitlist.


Treatment Planning at KidsAbility

What is a Treatment Planning Session?

Every child is different and every family has their own goals that are important to them.

Treatment Planning is required to access KidsAbility’s Behavioural Support Services (not required for respite or recreational services) and recommendations are valid for up to one year. Treatment Planning involves a standardized assessment tool, an in-depth caregiver interview and an assessment and thorough observation with your child. This will allow us to get to know your family, identify priority goals, and recommend a therapy plan specific to your child. Our goal is to truly understand the strengths and needs for your child and family so we can make clinically appropriate recommendations to support your child to reach their full potential.

You can register for a Treatment Planning Session


What does a Treatment Planning Session Include?

Treatment Planning includes a written report outlining recommendations for therapy made by one of our Board Certified Behaviour Analysts, which will be reviewed with your family. This report will include information from the interview and assessments completed, including strengths, needs, barriers and parent/guardian priority goals.  In addition, detailed recommendations for treatment based on the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) will be provided.  Recommendations for additional supports and services and/or community supports and universal strategies will also be included as appropriate. We understand that you know your child best and the Treatment Plan will help us to develop a roadmap that will allow us to best help your child together.


Do I need Treatment Planning?

Treatment Planning is required to access KidsAbility Behavioural Support services (not respite or recreational services). Recommendations are valid for up to one year.


How long does a treatment planning report last?  If my child is participating in behavioural therapy at KidsAbility do I need a new treatment planning report every year?

If you have an active Individualized Service Plan (ISP) with KidsAbility Behaviour Support Services (BSS) or your Treatment Planning report from KidsAbility was completed within the last year, you will not require another Treatment Planning Session to start or continue therapy.  Your recent report and/or current progress on therapy goals will be used to inform clinical recommendations.  If it has been longer than 1 year since completing your treatment planning session and longer than 1 year since you participated in BSS therapy, you will need to complete a new partial or full treatment planning session.  This will be looked at on a case by case basis and determined by what information is required to make clinically appropriate treatment recommendations.


Can I purchase more clinical hours than what is recommended through my child’s Treatment Plan?

Our clinical recommendations are like a prescription, based on what we have clinically assessed to be needed for your child to make therapeutic gains.  Hours and location for therapy are determined by the goals identified.  We will work with you to determine how to best meet your child’s and family’s goals.  As needs change, recommendations and strategies will also change.  Camps and respite programs are available to purchase on an unlimited basis and may be a great addition to a therapeutic plan.


Payment Options

What will my Childhood Budget (One-Time Interim Funding) pay for?

If you receive a Childhood Budget One-Time Interim Fund, to determine what services are eligible under the Ontario Autism Program, please refer to the OAP Website for a listing of Eligible and Ineligible Services. This list of eligible items can change, please check to see if there are updates prior to making purchases. If families are not sure if a service or support is eligible for purchase using a Childhood Budget or have questions, they are encouraged to discuss it with an Ontario Autism Program representative. To contact a representative please email Ontario Autism Program or call 1-888-444-4530.


What if I won’t be receiving a Childhood Budget/One Time Interim Funding?

If your family will not be receiving a Childhood Budget, you can still choose to purchase services for your child from KidsAbility out of pocket. Our team can help you to determine any subsidies, grants and rebates that you might be eligible for. We can also assist you in going through your workplace benefit plan should that be an option available to your family as well.


Can I send all of my money to KidsAbility directly from my Childhood Budget?

Due to changes with the Ontario Autism Program this option is no longer available.


When can I start spending money with the One Time Interim Funding?

You can purchase eligible Ontario Autism Program services as soon as you receive the payment.
The date on the cheque, or the date that the funding is deposited into the primary caregiver or independent youth’s bank account, is your funding start date.

You cannot use your interim one-time funding to pay for services or supports that you purchased before your funding start date.


I can’t afford to pay for the services upfront. What are my options?

Our team can help you to determine any subsidies, grants and rebates that you might be eligible for. We can also assist you in going through your workplace benefit plan should that be an option as well. Please reach out to our team, we know each family situation is unique and would like to support you in navigating therapy for your child.


Are services eligible to be covered through my workplace benefits?

Depending on your workplace benefit plan, some services may be covered. Call your workplace insurance about the service you wish to purchase.  To help you with your request, below are the professional designations of some of our team members:
  • Board Certified Behaviour Analysis
  • Speech and Language Pathologist
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Registered Social Worker (Masters of Social Work)

Services Available

What services can I purchase for my child from KidsAbility and what is included?

KidsAbility’s services are all-inclusive and there are no hidden fees for things like supplies, administrative costs or toys. Services that are available for purchase include:
  • Behaviour Supports – Treatment Planning, Groups and 1:1 Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) services
  • Respite – Before and after therapy care, weekend and evenings, etc.
  • Recreation – Camps, social skills programs, and more.
  • Caregiver Supports – Workshops, training, etc.
  • Speech & Language Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy

What kind of skills do you work on?

  • Adaptive and self-care skills
  • Attending and social referencing
  • Cognitive functioning
  • Community participation
  • Coping and tolerance skills
  • Emotional development
  • Family relationships
  • Language and communication
  • Play and leisure skills
  • Pre-academic skills
  • Reduction of interfering or inappropriate behaviours
  • Safety skills
  • Self-advocacy and independence
  • Self-management
  • Social relationships
  • Vocational skills


Does KidsAbility offer services on evenings and weekends?

KidsAbility is pleased to offer services until 8pm from Monday to Friday and on Saturdays until 4pm.

We can create a customizable program that will meet your needs.


What is included in my hourly rate of service?

KidsAbility’s services are all-inclusive and there are no hidden fees. Our Behaviour Support Services price per hour includes materials, meetings, 20% supervision by a BCBA. Our staff are highly trained therapists that go through rigorous training competencies. We provide training and development, purchase evidence-based curriculum and state of the art data collection to maximize the direct care with your child.


Do you offer before and after therapy care?

We can create a customizable program that will meet your needs.


Do you offer services other than direct care for a child?

We provide training to parents and caregivers and many partners in our local community. We work outside our walls to ensure that when our children are ready for the community, the community is ready for our children. Is your place of work or worship accessible? We can help you to break down barriers so that everyone in our community can participate fully.


Additional Questions

If I have other questions about KidsAbility’s services, who can I contact?

  • Amanda Griffin - Firefly Therapy Services Supervisor
  • Email | 519-886-8886 ext. 1349
  • KidsAbility Intake- 519-886-8886 x 1214 or toll-free at 1-888-372-2259 x 1214