Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
How do I get a diagnosis for my child?
Families can receive a diagnosis of autism from qualified professionals with expertise and who have undergone specific training. These include family physicians, pediatricians and developmental pediatricians, psychiatrists, psychologists, psychological associates, and nurse practitioners. Children can also be referred by their doctor to the Autism Diagnostic Hub, KidsAbility is a partner and supports with Hub referrals for Central West. CMHA supports for Guelph area referrals. Please connect with your doctor for referral to the Autism Diagnostic Hub in your area.
My child received a diagnosis of autism, what do I need to do now?
- Register your child with the Ontario Autism Program (OAP)
- If you have any questions, please email or call them at:
- If you aren't already a KidsAbility client, please call to speak with one of our Intake Social Workers at 519-886-8886 x 1214 or toll-free at 1-888-372-2259 x 1214. KidsAbility provides a variety of services to children with a diagnosis of autism until they are 18 years old (school exit). The Intake Worker can also help determine whether you will be eligible for other community resources.
- Your child with autism may also be eligible for other government programs for children with special needs.
Does my child need a diagnosis to receive services from KidsAbility?
KidsAbility provides families with a range of therapy and services for their child or youth with physical, communication, behavioural or developmental challenges—regardless of if they have a diagnosis or not.
How can I check if my child is on the Ontario Autism Program waitlist?
To confirm that your child is on the Ontario Autism Program waiting list, contact the Central Intake Registration Team at 1-888-444-4530 or email Ontario Autism Program.
Approximately, how long will I wait to get my One-Time Interim Funding /Childhood Budget?
Please visit the ministry website to see monthly numbers of children on the waitlist and those already receiving services in the Ontario Autism Program and to ask questions about the waitlist.
What services can I purchase for my child from KidsAbility and what is included?
KidsAbility’s services are all-inclusive and there are no hidden fees for things like supplies, administrative costs or toys. Services that are available for purchase include:
- Behaviour Supports – Treatment Planning, Groups and 1:1 Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) services
- Caregiver Supports – Workshops, training, etc.
What kind of skills do you work on?
- Adaptive and self-care skills
- Attending and social referencing
- Cognitive functioning
- Community participation
- Coping and tolerance skills
- Emotional development
- Family relationships
- Language and communication
- Play and leisure skills
- Pre-academic skills
- Reduction of interfering or inappropriate behaviours
- Safety skills
- Self-advocacy and independence
- Social relationships
- Vocational skills
Does KidsAbility offer services on evenings and weekends?
KidsAbility is pleased to offer services until 8pm from Monday to Friday and on Saturdays until 4pm.
We can create a customizable program that will meet your needs.
If I have other questions about KidsAbility’s services, who can I contact?
- KidsAbility Intake- 519-886-8886 x 1214 or toll-free at 1-888-372-2259 x 1214