Inclusion Supports and Training for Recreation Providers
KidsAbility Recreation Therapists are available to provide training to camp and recreation staff to help support the inclusion of children with special needs in recreation programs and camps. Topics we typically cover include:
- Introduction to Inclusion / Inclusive facilitation techniques to support better communication and positive behaviours
- Activity modification
- Disability awareness (an overview of common childhood disabilities and strategies for staff to support participants who may have these diagnosis)
If you are interested in arranging a training for your camp or recreation staff on any of the above topics, please connect with Heather Granger by email or at 519-886-8886 x1208.
As well, there is a fantastic online resource called Camps on TRACKS. This is a program and set of tools that camps can use to support a culture of social inclusion at camp. If you are interested in learning more please visit Camps for Everyone.
If you are looking for training for your camps staff on other topics related to children with special needs, please get in touch with the following community contacts:
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Email Jessica Straus or call 519-886-8886 x2413
- Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD): Email Karen Huber or call 519-741-1121
- Children’s Mental Health in Waterloo Region: Email Debbie Engel or call 519-743-6333
- Children’s Mental Health in Guelph Wellington: Email Jayne Fawcett or call 519-821-8089 x2110
- Campers who use communication devices: Please contact Adriana Garcia Ruiz or call 519-886-8886 x1273