KidsAbility Youth Council (KYC)
KYC is the youth voice for KidsAbility. Volunteers between the ages of 14 and 24 provide input to KidsAbility programs and services, plan events for youth and advocate on behalf of youth with disabilities.
As a council, the KYC works alongside staff at KidsAbility to act as a positive and energetic voice of youth to influence programs and activities. The KYC will work together to create space for youth with disabilities to come together through special events, drop ins and other opportunities as identified by the council.
KYC provides youth with leadership opportunities that encourage personal growth as well as an opportunity to earn volunteer hours.
There will be one KYC committee with subcommittee opportunities specific to your region and interests such as social media, social planning and programs, and youth and mental health.
What to expect:
Youth (between the ages of 14 and 24 that are current, or past clients, or siblings or friends of current or past clients) meet 1-2 times per month to provide input and plan events. Facilitated by the Youth Engagement Lead and the Youth Services Assistant. Youth gain volunteer hours for participating.
When it is offered:
There will be a Fall and Winter Term.
- Youth are welcome to participate in both terms.
- Fall Term will run from September to December.
- Winter Term will run from January to May.
- Members from both terms will be invited to attend a celebration and recognition event in June.
- Members will go through the onboarding process and attend a Welcome and Training Meeting in September (for Fall Term) and January (for Winter Term)Members will attend bi-weekly meetings and have occasional events outside of scheduled meeting hours.
- Meetings will be hybrid with both in person and virtual options.
We are looking for youth that are:
- Passionate about bringing the youth voice to create change in our community!
- Youth that want to be an advocate, champion and ambassador for youth with disabilities.
- Interested in being part of a team that works together while having fun in the process.
- Youth that are between the ages of 14-24 years old, are a current or past client of KidsAbility or are a sibling or friend of a client.
Are you ready to join us?
Please contact the Youth Engagement Lead for more details (firstname.lastname@example.org) or fill out the application form below.
KidsAbility Youth Council Application Form